What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

"What did I do today?"

I find many woodworkers noticed little change in their lifestyle with the self-isolation effort of late.  Alas, I am between shops and am running out of things to "get ready" for when I finally break ground.  It is a bit frustrating to have so many things to do and lack the means to do so many of them.  Construction is supposed to be pretty free from restrictions during lockdown but, you would never know this based on the response time of the Building and Safety folks at the city.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Where I used to work there were 4 huge Chestnut trees that the blight didn’t get, awesome trees, and if you’re right those mortise machines are a great machine, don’t have one but a friend does :D

There is a huge stand of 500-600 mature tress near La Crosse, WI. I think it's the largest mature stand of American Chestnut. ACF has been using the stand for research for years i believe. I've been meaning to visit it during spring bloom sometime.

16 hours ago, JohnG said:

You can’t tease us like that! Info?

LOL @Chestnut was correct its a  719T Hollow chisel mortiser. Since I used one at MASW I have wanted one almost got one black Friday but knew it wouldn't be used for a while so i waited. With the basement project coming to an end I will be back to furniture soon and with the 15% off I decided now was the time.  I like the work of Mike Peckovich and he does a lot of through mortises these machines work great for that. 

16 hours ago, Tom King said:

Do your clamp-on forks have a stabilizer bar?  I'm getting ready to buy some, and don't know if I should get the bar, or not.  It's a lot cheaper to get it to start with, than shipping separate later.

They do not. I have had them for about 15 years and while occasionally you will bump one and have to get off and straighten it out I've never felt it was an issue. They do come in really handy though the truck driver yesterday was like I wish all my residential deliveries were this easy LOL

3 hours ago, gee-dub said:

find many woodworkers noticed little change in their lifestyle with the self-isolation effort of late.  Alas, I am between shops and am running out of things to "get ready" for when I finally break ground.  It is a bit frustrating to have so many things to do and lack the means to do so many of them.  Construction is supposed to be pretty free from restrictions during lockdown but, you would never know this based on the response time of the Building and Safety folks at the city

Gee dub, does this mean you are building a new shop? I know I would enjoy watching the process and learn about your considerations for the new shop. Good luck

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

Gee dub, does this mean you are building a new shop? I know I would enjoy watching the process and learn about your considerations for the new shop. Good luck

+1 for doing a journal about it. I’ll be building a shop soon after we move this summer (timing depending on the project cost).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I took my initial fiber drum, prior to the secondary and filter and epoxied a clear piece of lexan as a sight glass to keep an eye on how full it was. 

I know you guys anxiously await this every year from me so I didn’t want to disappoint. ;) My first picking. 

01C7D79C-3605-42F7-B560-1844F77E0D28.thumb.jpeg.7cd49829dddb33d9b8b20e67bb28c9f1.jpeg

Well I’m sure glad to see someone is having a great spring, freeze and frost warnings for this weekend up here a high temperature of 45-50, those look delicious Coop

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

took my initial fiber drum, prior to the secondary and filter and epoxied a clear piece of lexan as a sight glass to keep an eye on how full it was. 

The problem is the person that is supposed to be keeping an eye on it.... Seeing that fresh planed surface roll out of the planer is way more exciting than watching a bin fill... :D.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Coop said:

I took my initial fiber drum, prior to the secondary and filter and epoxied a clear piece of lexan as a sight glass to keep an eye on how full it was. 

I know you guys anxiously await this every year from me so I didn’t want to disappoint. ;) My first picking. 

01C7D79C-3605-42F7-B560-1844F77E0D28.thumb.jpeg.7cd49829dddb33d9b8b20e67bb28c9f1.jpeg

I am headed to Northern Minnesota in the morning for the fishing opener. Sure could use those for the pot of chili we will be making to try and stay warm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Ok we have 28 degree lows in the forecast the next few nights that's just mean coop lol

• Haha 1

Yeah but come August, we will be wearing mini pads under our arms to keep them from sticking to our body. It’s probably a trade off but I just can’t handle the cold stuff. 

I just finished a book on the Korean war and temps there were 10* to 20* below zero. Unimaginable! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

Yeah but come August, we will be wearing mini pads under our arms to keep them from sticking to our body. It’s probably a trade off but I just can’t handle the cold stuff. 

I just finished a book on the Korean war and temps there were 10* to 20* below zero. Unimaginable! 

LOL yeah I agree with you there. BTW its not the 20 below that gets you its when its 20 below and the wind is howling 20 mph now that my fiend is cold :) 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Nut, do you have the 735? 

No i upgraded to the 15" Powermatic HH planer last October. the 735 is a good machine though. There are aspects of It that I miss and some aspects I don't.

1 hour ago, B1rdhunter said:

I am headed to Northern Minnesota in the morning for the fishing opener. Sure could use those for the pot of chili we will be making to try and stay warm.

Good luck. Hope you stay warm becuase i'ts not goign to be a nice weekend i don't think.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

My first picking. 

Your mean, i can't get anything from my yard the 12-15 deer that roam through eat everything in sight.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

LOL yeah I agree with you there. BTW its not the 20 below that gets you its when its 20 below and the wind is howling 20 mph now that my fiend is cold :) 

Paul whats the coldest temperature you have been in during all your climbing adventures?

11 hours ago, Chet said:

Paul whats the coldest temperature you have been in during all your climbing adventures?

By far high camp on Denali, 17,200 ft, in a tent -10 to -20 real temp 30-50MPH winds for 5 days...It was also my last attempt on Denali :) 

The funny thing about high altitude climbing is it can get extremely hot as well on Rainier, Denali, Kilimanjaro, you can be sweating your butt off at one moment and 30 min later freezing your butt off. 

• Like 1