What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

10 hours ago, Coop said:

All I know about Fargo was gathered from the movie. Did you pick up the accent? 

Ya you betcha. I grew up with the accent. Movie is pretty cringe worthy in how much they over emphasize the accent very few people's accent is that thick.

31 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Ya you betcha. I grew up with the accent. Movie is pretty cringe worthy in how much they over emphasize the accent very few people's accent is that thick.

It's kinda like being from Texas.

Since we're talking about cleaning filters I'll ask this.  I have a large pleated HEPA canister filter on my P-Flux DC, and it's time to clean it out again.  I remember this was a big pain last summer, with multiple methods yielding poor results.  My vague (but only vague) recollection is that I ended up washing it out in the yard with a garden hose. 

Is it exceptable to flush these filters with water, or us that a bad idea?

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Since we're talking about cleaning filters I'll ask this.  I have a large pleated HEPA canister filter on my P-Flux DC, and it's time to clean it out again.  I remember this was a big pain last summer, with multiple methods yielding poor results.  My vague (but only vague) recollection is that I ended up washing it out in the yard with a garden hose. 

I don't think that you should wash it with water. It depends on the filter type as Frank said. Even if it's spun fiberglass I'm not sure that washing with water is a good thing.

If your pleated filter is the paper type you never will get it completely clean but that's ideal. The particulates that build up in the filter help increase the overall filtration. It's at the cost of airflow but this should be accounted for in the design of the collector. The period of this is called seasoning and you may have read references to it before.

If you washed a paper filter it may well be ruined. If it's working now i wouldn't wash it again. My method for cleaning the filter is a leaf blower. Take it outside and blow in 1 end and out the other. Compressed air blowing from the outside in is another way to help loosen material. The goal is to remove the large buildups of dust not necessarily make it look "new" again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

I have a Wynn nano on my DC and I "think" it's water-washable but I have achieved good enough results just tapping it and blowing it out (carefully) with compressed air. Outdoors, preferably with a stiff breeze blowing!

2 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I have a Wynn nano on my DC and I "think" it's water-washable but I have achieved good enough results just tapping it and blowing it out (carefully) with compressed air. Outdoors, preferably with a stiff breeze blowing!

From https://wynnenv.com/faq/

Q: Are your filters washable?
A: No, we do not recommend washing.  Our woodworking filters are cleaned-down from the outside with about 60 PSI of compressed air. Just use your blow-off nozzle.