What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I hand raked about a half acre today.  There's about that much left to do.  I had a hard time not doing a good job of it, and ended up getting about 3 tractor buckets full of rocks about 1 to 1-1/2", that none of the tractor implements would catch.  I was too tired to even think about taking a picture.  Everyone says it looks amazing though.  I hope I can find a straw blower to rent.

A Harley Rake was looking right tempting, soon after I started, but with a couple of days work, the job will get done.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:00 AM, JohnG said:

This was yesterday but the kids went over to my in-laws so I had a bit of shop time.

I remember years ago when the kids were little and they got a chance to go to the in-laws, after they left, we would lock the doors and close the curtains. Now that they’re grown with their own kids, I too go to the shop and look for stuff to do. ;)

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mick S said:

It's that good. I posted a review last week.

Oh holy smokes that's an amazing piece of kit! :)

I couldn't justify owning that one, I had something far more simple in mind. Combine that with CNC there's nothing you can't make.

I bet you'll never cut a pin when you needed a tail!

9 hours ago, Mick S said:

Got the joinery cut using the new PantoRouter for the coffee table base. The legs will be ebonized and splayed out at 2 degrees and the stretchers will all be profiled with cloud lift arches. There will be a cabinet underneath the top with drawers. And surprise!, it's mesquite.

IMG_14901.jpeg.d88f21b6857985b5afd20d367a06da17.jpeg

I’d be disappointed if it weren’t mesquite! Love that stuff! 

Spent Saturday putting up crown molding in our first floor. Only got 1/3 of it done and we're not in a large house. Got fed up with the coping saw so I picked up a grinder. Made life so much easier. Couldn't believe all the people at Home Depot just out for a stroll, no masks, not avoiding people and letting their dog run all around.

Don't try to put up crown with a 5 and 2 year old. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I calculated one of the Walnut packs at $15/board foot.

No doubt it is expensive but if you are a person just trying to do a one of project around the house and don't have a shop full of milling machines, its probably a good deal.

Today was a salute to hybrid woodworking for me. I cut the 2 degree splay on all four faces of the legs of my coffee table base on the big bandsaw. Then I cleaned them up with my LN #4 and a LN Boggs flat bottomed spokeshave, both freshly honed to 16,000 grit. 

Mesquite. Between hickory and ebony in density. Like buttah!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Today was a salute to hybrid woodworking for me. I cut the 2 degree splay on all four faces of the legs of my coffee table base on the big bandsaw. Then I cleaned them up with my LN #4 and a LN Boggs flat bottomed spokeshave, both freshly honed to 16,000 grit. 

Mesquite. Between hickory and ebony in density. Like buttah!

Speaking of mesquite, I trimmed mine today of some small dead limbs. I also see where a woodpecker has been having a hay day on it. I’ve had this tree for about 20 years and would hate to loose it. Does a woodpecker do more damage than good?