What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

The one in my area closed about a year ago. There is one close to my office that I still support. “What kind of screw, stainless, brass, etc. “ The store and lumber yard take up two city blocks . Great folks. 

Our Ace went belly up but we have a great True Value with a lumber yard and they are nice enough to store all my screws and fasteners for me :)

Another thing I love is they will order dang near anything for you and not really charge any extra for it. I've done this for several items I wasn't able to find locally.

My True Value first, Ace second--I'm lucky enough to have both still to support. 

I've almost completely stopped going to the BORG since mine made all but one of the registers self check out.  If you can't pay someone to ring me up I'm not shopping at your store.  

There used to be a lumber yard up where we are but it closed years before we moved here. Ace doesn’t sell much more than some dowels and trim, in terms of lumber, at least here. The employees there are a mix of old and wise, young and dumb. You know who I search out if you need help :) 

I had done the bare sand part, where Pam is standing, by myself.  The I beam would roll the mass up, and go over the top of it, until the pile got tall enough to stay ahead of the beam.  I had gone up, and down the hill multiple times, realized it would take all day, so called for some help.  She didn't stay clean long, and got good exercise moving the beam back behind the pile.

She was worried that she had ruined her favorite pair of gardening gloves that she'd had for years, but they washed fine in the washing machine, and more were easily found online- Atlas 370 nitrile dipped.

I've designed (in my head) a better drag for this purpose, that will also work in the water.  This got the job done today though.  We'll probably do the same thing again tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I might have tried a back blade to pull that stuff up from the bank, that way you have rear tires on the soft stuff. Still might have been too soft though, so just a thought. I'm sure you have a back blade :)

The sand is probably four, or five feet deep when you get anywhere close to the water, and it's all saturated at the lake level.  You can walk on it fine, but you can't even drive a rubber tracked skid steer loader on it without sinking.  I have to keep the back tires on regular dirt, and hope the front tires don't sink, but I'm avoiding having to do that again.

Today, I rolled the muck farther up on the beach, so I could pull it at a little bit of a different angle.  I didn't put any where it needed to be pulled with the bucket, by starting farther back on that beach.

We made quicker work out of it this morning, with yesterday's experience.  I started the drag farther back, to clean off more of the beach down to the sand.

IMG_2488.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

My guess is hallow chisel mortiser free standing machine.

I got my shipping notification for 4 American Chestnut trees. I'm kind of excited to see what happens.

Where I used to work there were 4 huge Chestnut trees that the blight didn’t get, awesome trees, and if you’re right those mortise machines are a great machine, don’t have one but a friend does :D