Baby Boat

Isaac

Great project, Isaac! She's gonna love it even more when she's about 25. Very impressive.

I didn't realize they made TB II Dark. Guess I need to make a run up to Denver to the Rockler store to see what else I've been missing living amongst the tumbleweeds.

• Like 1

Thanks for the support guys, its been fun, I've learned a lot already. Depending on how I feel when it is all finished up, I might even save the forms and make another one sometime.

24 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Great project, Isaac! She's gonna love it even more when she's about 25. Very impressive.

I didn't realize they made TB II Dark. Guess I need to make a run up to Denver to the Rockler store to see what else I've been missing living amongst the tumbleweeds.

This is the first project I've use TB II Dark, and I'm very happy with it. It goes on with a chocolate milk color but cures to a darker chocolate syrup color. 

12 hours ago, Isaac said:

We picked out some great dark walnut and I purchased a set of plans from a boat builder and I've been moving ahead. So far it has a been a really fun project, though quite challenging.

I like that sentence - "We picked out...." Cute!   The only wood my significant other would be interested in picking out would be from West Elm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SCPDX said:

I like that sentence - "We picked out...." Cute!   The only wood my significant other would be interested in picking out would be from West Elm.

It's true, we were at the lumber yard. She liked the dark color of the walnut.

A couple update shots. I added some additional rivets (originally I got mixed up and spaced them at 6", instead of the desired 3". No big deal). Next I shaped and added the chines. 

The chines are reinforcing pieces added to the bottom side planks to provide some "meat" for the bottom of the boat to be secured to. They also stiffen the side of the boat. They pretty difficult to actually get in place as they are much thick and stiffer than the side planks. 

5a74c1d906ca3_IMG_20180131_192358693(Large).thumb.jpg.5a8a880ee2328c8028ad6f07c3ba9fc3.jpg

5a74c1dacdb30_IMG_20180131_192407633(Large).thumb.jpg.b8efc7e7fe6318409dfed902d15338a4.jpg

5a74c1d9d94b2_IMG_20180131_192405548(Large).thumb.jpg.45ce939544c4dcca166e350bdea53c22.jpg

Once installed and glued. I hand planed the to create a flat surface. 

5a74c1dbae14c_IMG_20180131_192412706(Large).thumb.jpg.db3e9a3524e92748cfc1d99e1d5da2f6.jpg

Here I started measuring across to see where I'd need to remove a little more material so the bottom planks will have a flat surface to secure to.

5a74c1dd8991e_IMG_20180131_194903933(Large).thumb.jpg.16f7f4baed894291eb823733d46f7f10.jpg

Fully planked and Chines installed.

5a74c1d80cc02_IMG_20180131_195031177(Large).thumb.jpg.25fa7c3877b80a359f77c0c4afc557f1.jpg

Next step is adding the bottom, which will be a number of 3" wide planks with lap joints (the plans actually called for butt joints, but I asked the designer, and he agreed lap joints would be even better).

I can't make the planking yet, as I'm waiting on a resaw king blade for the bandsaw. I've determined using a cheaper blade was a real false economy as i'd waste planks due to blade drift. This walnut is expensive enough that the blade is almost justified just for this project, and of course, I'll use it on other projects in the future. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tom King said:

That's fantastic!!  You did a really great job fairing the chine with the hand plane, and it paid off with the fit of the bottom.

Thanks Tom, That part actually went pretty smoothly, didn't have to remove too much material, and the bottom planks were forgiving enough that I didn't have much trouble. I've got a couple spots where the chines had some tear-out/splitting at a few of the fasteners, nothing too bad. . Not sure what else I could have done to prevent it, I did pre-drill everything, but locating the holes was tricky, as I was kind of working blind from above and trying to hit a fairly small target. Once I get the gunwales on I'll be switching over to sanding, gluing, epoxying, plugging holes, etc. to clean up the various dings I've picked up along the way.