How to finish this requested hipster piece??

I'd give him exactly what he asked for, at $299 each.

Really, though, if you make that out of fresh "whitewood" 2x4s from HD, it will not remain usable as a coffee table for long. The likelyhood of severe warping is high. Ask if he can wait a couple months, so you can dry the boards enough to pick some straight sections to use. Once dry, I wouldn't hesitate to glue that stack solidly, as the grain is all oriented the same, and should move together.

The hollow inside is not a bad idea, but adds to the construction time. I suggest that you at least stagger the ends a bit more randomly, to add realism.

And to increase the realism even more, don't sand or finish it.

• Like 1

The way to go about this differs greatly whether it is being build for a friend/family vs. a stranger. In this case, he said it is for a friend so it would be wise to inform the friend of the problems with the design and figure out how to compromise between the look they want and making it a piece of furniture that will last and you can be proud of making.

For a stranger, you would just want to inform them of the problems with the design, the fact that wood moves, and that it likely will tear itself apart. For extra authenticity and hipster-ness, leave the lumber tag and staples in the end of the 2x4. Then collect the profit and laugh your way to the bank.

The more crappy furniture that people buy and get fed up with, the more they will be willing to pay more for properly built furniture. Especially as they reach the point in their career/life that their time and frustration in dealing with and replacing crappy furniture outweighs the cost of good furniture.

13 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I tried to hold my tongue, but I can't. That table is absolutely the fugliest piece of rustic furniture I've ever seen. I have no other words.

Sorry, you can't call that rustic with hairpin legs and new 2x4s..  Fugly is accurate!  

• Haha 1

What I am really curious about - if someone posted here they were going to build a Federal, Queen Anne or William and Mary piece, would the comments be two pages long before they turned on their saw? :D  Just wondering.

• Haha 1

At the present time I would be more than glad to do the job.  I would give a price of $249 and by the time you go get the lumber and legs along with building it and doing a finish your day is over. $ 200 for a day for me is better than waiting for a better job to start.  I just did a small cherry top for someone for $89.00 and made $35 a hour.   I guess a lot depends on if someone needs the money or not.   If I didn't I would not want to work for anyone because I had so much more fun building whatever I like and working in shop stuff.  PS...$249 sounds better than $250..:)   Oh I almost forgot,,, Please show your build.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chet said:

What I am really curious about - if someone posted here they were going to build a Federal, Queen Anne or William and Mary piece, would the comments be two pages long before they turned on their saw? :D  Just wondering.

LOL I have a federal piece on my bucket list but in all honesty the thought of spending that much time on a piece and then storing it in a closet is less than appealing. When I showed it to my wife she was like who's that for because it's not going in my house :) 

• Haha 2

I'm actually guessing the buyer expects that ting to warp and twist. Dude might be disappointed if it's perfect. The original one in the pic is already misaligned to the point it's almost unusable for anything that needs to remain balanced with a base over 4".

- buy "legs"

- buy cheapwood

- make cheapwood picadillo

- glue it all together at once, let dry

- sand only to the point where everything look barely sanded

- spray lacquer or water poly carelessly applied, better if it pools in the corners

- do not sign that thing, and if the guy tags you on social media with pictures, report the post or close your accounts :D 

- ???

- profit

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Many people (especially younger ones) seem to be ok with buying cheap furniture 10 times instead of good furniture once. It'll take them a while to get it, so you might as well turn a quick buck in the meantime.

27 minutes ago, kyokahn said:

I'm actually guessing the buyer expects that ting to warp and twist. Dude might be disappointed if it's perfect. The original one in the pic is already misaligned to the point it's almost unusable for anything that needs to remain balanced with a base over 4".

- buy "legs"

- buy cheapwood

- make cheapwood picadillo

- glue it all together at once, let dry

- sand only to the point where everything look barely sanded

- spray lacquer or water poly carelessly applied, better if it pools in the corners

- do not sign that thing, and if the guy tags you on social media with pictures, report the post or close your accounts :D 

- ???

- profit

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Many people (especially younger ones) seem to be ok with buying cheap furniture 10 times instead of good furniture once. It'll take them a while to get it, so you might as well turn a quick buck in the meantime.

Ya, I think it would be a blast just to spike that thing together doing sh*ttiest job you can, knowing you're giving him just what he wants & deserves.

49 minutes ago, kyokahn said:

Many people (especially younger ones) seem to be ok with buying cheap furniture 10 times instead of good furniture once.

Hooray to the USA for not teaching our kids financial responsibility or the true meaning of frugality.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Maybe. My military sis’s family is happy with IKEA as they move so frequently into such varied house styles. I find it hard to critique them. 

This is very true!  High end "forever" furniture is not for everyone.  My youngest is in college and hits me up to build him stuff all the time and I always refuse.  There's just no sense in building high end stuff that may not have a home when you move 6 months from now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnonymousAccountant said:

Hooray to the USA for not teaching our kids financial responsibility or the true meaning of frugality.

Not necessarily, there are many reasons for it. Upfront money is hard to come by while trying to establish a career nowadays, and with home ownership going down and employment relocations going up, moving is much more frequent and furniture won't look the same everywhere.

Once you settle a bit more it's easier to buy for the long term, problem is some get used to "that's not what a table costs, why should I pay that much if IKEA sells for $100?" kinda thing. BTW, financial planning/responsibility/education is lacking everywhere, not particularly the US.

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting that it makes sense for everyone to buy furniture that will last a lifetime or more. I have friends and family in the military and other jobs that require frequent relocation, so I understand the various difficulties that arise from that situation. I was thinking about, and (apparently incorrectly) assumed that @kyokahn was also thinking about the large population of people that buy the $30 coffee table from Walmart that will last maybe 6 months of actual use, send it to the landfill, and buy another over and over again. The people that think that being frugal means spending the least amount possible at every buying decision.

That is a much different situation than the military folks I know who buy furniture that, while not heirloom quality, is still very functional and serviceable. Then, when it is time to relocate, they sell the furniture or give it away to friends because it still has plenty of useful life left.

Anyway, that is partly why I tend to prefer the less trendy furniture styles, so I don't have to refurnish when we move. I prefer the timeless designs, such as the gem that this thread is about! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't do anything fancy...   Edge glue the three layers and then screw one layer to the next from underneath.  Use a wider hole through the one layer so they can expand/contract a bit.  You'll need to find some 12" hairpin legs, that'll be the most expensive part.  Then I'd sand the outside with 120 grit mostly to remove the lumber markings.   Coat with water based poly.

Based on what I found online... the hairpin legs will likely cost you $50.   2x4's are now about $4/each(up from $3 last year) depending on length you'd need 5-8 of them.   So you're looking at maybe $80 in materials.

If you built a simple coffee table out of hardwood, 4 legs with aprons, and a top...   2'x4' top, aprons, legs... you'd need what maybe 15 board foot of material?   oak at $3-4 board foot and you're at $45-60 in materials.   Use those metal corner brackets with hanger bolts(around $5 at rockler) and it probably wouldn't take much longer to construct, although finishing would take a bit longer as you'd want to stain it.

Interesting to look at it that way.   Granted a simple table wouldn't look trendy.

17 hours ago, AnonymousAccountant said:

I was thinking about, and (apparently incorrectly) assumed that @kyokahn was also thinking about the large population of people that buy the $30 coffee table from Walmart that will last maybe 6 months of actual use, send it to the landfill, and buy another over and over again. The people that think that being frugal means spending the least amount possible at every buying decision.

We're on the same page, just differ in the origin of that bad practice. My take on it is that most people need to buy temporary furniture in the beginning, but many never understand you're not supposed to do that your whole life under most circumstances.

30 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

https://abeautifulmess.com/2015/01/diy-wooden-coffee-table.html

I have opinions and won't share them, i'd get banned for improper language.

Where's my facepalm emoji...