Christmas Dining Table

Chestnut

GREAT start. At that pace, should have no issue finishing by Christmas.

One thing I've found helpful using asymmetrical curves like a French curve set is to make a small hash or tick mark with my pencil on the acrylic where it meets the wood to line up later.   If you can get a start point the same, you usually get pretty dang close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I'm always amazed how you (and others) can just whip something like this together.  

I don't know if it's more amazing or less but I've done the style before so it goes a lot faster. I also am not working from plans so dimensions are made up on the fly. I find that hitting a specific dimension is what slows me down the most.

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Looking good ! I'm assuming that's cherry your using . How big will the fully extended tabletop be ?

As stated above no idea it's all being made up on the fly. So far it's sitting around 38" x 67" close +/- 2". Extended will be 103" +/-. I'm shooting for 30" from floor to table top. I want it to be comfortable to sit at with a folding chair but not so low that it's awkward. Megan has commented about 5 times that the table looks short but she's comparing it to the benches in my workshop that are at 38" and 35". She's 5'1" and i'm 5'6" and i'm the tallest person in our immediate family so i'm not sure what her concern is all about. 

14 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

GREAT start. At that pace, should have no issue finishing by Christmas.

One thing I've found helpful using asymmetrical curves like a French curve set is to make a small hash or tick mark with my pencil on the acrylic where it meets the wood to line up later.   If you can get a start point the same, you usually get pretty dang close.

I mentioned my time line to some friends and they were shocked that i could build a table in less than  2 months time. In reality the work above was mostly done Friday and Sunday last week. After i get the extensions figured out all i have left is to glue together a very very large panel.

I have tried that with the acrylic curves but my pencils don't mark on them well at all. I thought about using a wet erase market but i don't have one. I also never measured the start and end points of the curves nor did i measure the angle on the foot so while this way has more back and forth in my mind it was faster. In reality it's probably a wash. I suppose i could use sharpie. Mosquito spray that contains deet removes sharpie from plastic. Can't remember if it degrades acrylic though. I don't think it does because my ray-bans are acrylic and they are just fine.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Megan has commented about 5 times that the table looks short

I had this same problem when the table was out in the shop.  It caused me to keep checking my measurements but they were always the same. :rolleyes:  Once it was in the house it looked fine. 

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

29" tall actually works great for a table height, especially if you don't have to worry about chairs with arms being pushed under.

The chairs will eventually be made by me so they can be what ever i want them to be. but probably without arms. I always found armed dining room chairs to be annoying. Always felt like i was in prison in the chair never to leave again.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

You're braver than me if you tackle dining chairs.  I have about as much desire to make dining chairs as I do to make kitchen cabinets. 

I dig the leg design of the table. 

Chairs are just mini tables. I want to do scuplted seats though. So i'm carefully watching every Bmac build.

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Great work as usual, you’re really cranking out the projects, I’m retired and couldn’t keep up with you. Chairs, how many? They are a challenge, thanks for taking us along for the ride 

I'll make 4 to start and then another 2-3 later on. Trouble with a good solid wood dining chair is there aren't many places to store them. My other though is to use benches so we'll see. I have the kitchen table as well that could use a couple more chairs.

20 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Mosquito spray that contains deet removes sharpie from plastic. Can't remember if it degrades acrylic though. I don't think it does because my ray-bans are acrylic and they are just fine.

Aw man. Forget those chemicals. Sharpie comes off completely with a dab of hand sanitizer..

I actually remember that my pencils had a hard time on the acrylic also. I sanded a bit with 220 to abrade the corner once and it worked great for still being totally clear, but my pencils now will leave a mark. 

53 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Aw man. Forget those chemicals. Sharpie comes off completely with a dab of hand sanitizer..

I actually remember that my pencils had a hard time on the acrylic also. I sanded a bit with 220 to abrade the corner once and it worked great for still being totally clear, but my pencils now will leave a mark. 

LOL i have mosquito spray but don't have hand sanitizer .... you obviously have never been to MN. If you had you'd hold deet mosquito spray in high praise. Not to cause controversy but I'll take a harmless chemical over, being covered in welts, getting West Nile virus, or Encephalitis any day.

That's a good idea. Honestly they don't really need to be clear either. I'll have to remember that for next time thanks.

28 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

LOL i have mosquito spray but don't have hand sanitizer .... you obviously have never been to MN. If you had you'd hold deet mosquito spray in high praise. Not to cause controversy but I'll take a harmless chemical over, being covered in welts, getting West Nile virus, or Encephalitis any day.

That's a good idea. Honestly they don't really need to be clear either. I'll have to remember that for next time thanks.

Oh man. I did a lot of growing up in the Ozarks. I've got much love for bug spray. And hatred for mosquitos!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JohnG said:

I’ve spent some time in the BWCA and understand the need for the 98% DEET spray. One year I took some ~30% and it didn’t even start to slow them down. Those mosquitos are brutal. 

DNR have found deer that have choked to death on mosquitoes in areas up there.

38 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Looks great! Can’t wait to see this come together.

im planning a table and chairs build in the future. Are you fully designing the chairs or starting with some sort of initial design?

I'll probably design them fully my self. I've been paying attention to chairs a lot lately and have some good ideas on what makes some comfortable and others not so much. I want to do a bit more steep of an angle on the seat. Probably be a 7 degree slow from level instead of 0-5. I'll also make sure the angle from the seat to the back is around 95-100 degrees probably closer to the 95. I'm going to do a few prototypes probably so we'll see what happens.