Dining Chairs

Chestnut

19 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Yes my shop is in my basement. The table saw is pretty easy to get down there I took the top off and carried it down  mounted on 2 boards with a helper. The planer I took apart as soon as I got it and carried it down with a helper in 3 parts, it wasn't so bad because it was  only 300 ish lbs and wasn't an awkward shape.

The jointer..... that nearly killed us. I also took it apart to move it into the shop but the beds can't really come off. So the top part with the beds and cutter head weighs probably 450 lbs and nearly put 2 of us through a wall when it started to tip over. My stairs go down about 7 steps and then turn a corner to go down about 5 more. To make the corner we had the main part stood on end it was very awkward. This reason alone is why I'm never moving. If i have to move the jointer is being sold with the house. It'd be entertaining to coat the thing in cosmoline and just build it into a secret room under the stairs or something for someone to find in 100 years.

dude I think I would have bought a new house before I moved all that in basement. or built a ramp

4 hours ago, duckkisser said:

dude I think I would have bought a new house before I moved all that in basement. or built a ramp

It was a new house. The only thing that really sucked was the jointer. I guess plywood is a PITA but i don't use it all that much and when i do I break it down in the garage.

Moving stuff in sucks yes, but my shop is 64 degrees year round, has 9 foot ceilings, and full plumbing. Some day we might put an addition on the house. At that time i'll add on to my shop and put in a man door or something that goes strait, and to the garage or something.

You're rolling!  The sash job, that I started over six months ago (can't remember when it was really), is still at this stage.  Not a stick has moved since then.  I got sidetracked, which is not unusual.  Those computer parts, in the background, are still there too, as well as a bunch of unopened tools still in boxes added since that picture was taken.

IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.83d8d1cf0d35b9c199d5ae5948e0f91e.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It was a new house. The only thing that really sucked was the jointer. I guess plywood is a PITA but i don't use it all that much and when i do I break it down in the garage.

Moving stuff in sucks yes, but my shop is 64 degrees year round, has 9 foot ceilings, and full plumbing. Some day we might put an addition on the house. At that time i'll add on to my shop and put in a man door or something that goes strait, and to the garage or something.

Plumbing in the shop would be really nice

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Those chairs turned out beautifully, Nut. Did you try steaming out the dents? I've done that lots cause things seem to get dented a lot in my shop :( 

Oh, and is that a partially gestated workbench top in that first pic?

I thought about steaming but I wasn't sure how it'd react with freshly applied finish. Some of the subtle dents got addressed before finish. Some dents happened after the final sanding or during finish. 6 Chairs take up a decent amount of shop space so they had to be moved around often as to not be in the way.

No that is the final work bench top. When it came to trimming to length I looked at it and asked myself "Why?" I realized all it would do is provide a pretty end and remove some length. I figured if I ever needed a flat square end, I'd just trim it at that point. My bench is positioned between 2 posts so the ends don't really get used so in 3 years of use I never trimmed them. Now it's my assembly table so it'll probably never get trimmed. Or if that bench gets trimmed it'll be in half with a chainsaw to be burned.

• Like 1

Looking good. They should serve you well.

I had good luck steaming after finish was applied (General Finish High Performance)  I had to sand it with a higher grit then you normally use between coats it sort of pealed and then had to sand to feather the area edges.  This was on top of the Basrrister Bookcase.  But having said that, I probably wouldn't bother on some thing like your chairs, you would get all done and the first time the family sat around the table it would look like you hadn't touched up anything.;)

• Thanks 1

Great job and I too love the back design also. Glad I was able to help with the seat sculpting, looks like that went smoothly. Doing 6 chairs at one time is a lot of work but you made great time and got a great result!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...