The Desk is Done

Ronn W

First rate work Ronn as usual, I know you struggled with the alignment of the drawers but you nailed it, I’ve never seen anything like it and I’m sure it will be stolen several times over, I know I’m keeping it in my mental inventory, the whole piece just works, wood, construction, size and design, well done sir!

That came out beautifully.  Lots of great design elements working together very well.  A false front for the lower right would dress it up a bit.  It looks like you had drawers there but, left them out to make room for the cpu or whatever is there.  Those proud drawer glides are too cool.  It really comes together.

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Does the sloped top open up? If so, can you show how it is hinged?

No hinges.  Not enough room under the top to put anything unless I omitted the center top drawer.

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

A false front for the lower right would dress it up a bit.  It looks like you had drawers there but, left them out to make room for the cpu or whatever is there

"left them out"?  I prefer to say that I could have put drawers in there but chose not to.  Point taken about the false front.

Thanks all for you kind comments.

Agree with all the above.  Very well done, and I particularly like the old school drawer pulls; says this is desk where serious work is done.  I am curious, though, about the the recesses in the drawer sides.  The recesses look like there is no finish coating.  Maybe that's the lighting or maybe intentional?

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

Agree with all the above.  Very well done, and I particularly like the old school drawer pulls; says this is desk where serious work is done.  I am curious, though, about the the recesses in the drawer sides.  The recesses look like there is no finish coating.  Maybe that's the lighting or maybe intentional?

Your are correct.  The dados in the drawer sides are unfinshed. I rubbed parafin in them to smooth out the drawer action.

That’s what I do with drawer slides like that. Wax em up. That reminds me, I need some paraffin.... My wife puts her Yankee candles on heaters to get the scent without burning them so I steal those after they’re played out. Worked really well for lumber drying (on the ends) but I used up the last one.  
Very nice desk! :) I have a curved front desk project waiting for me, like you, that will be for me. It’s a more simple design but curved/dovetailed drawers will be a new thing for me to try. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:40 AM, Chip Sawdust said:

I have a curved front desk project waiting for me, like you, that will be for me. It’s a more simple design but curved/dovetailed drawers will be a new thing for me to try. 

Curved would be new for me to.  Those are on my bucket list. Hope you share pics as you go.