Router for router table

Hi, 

Im looking to get a new Jessem Mast R Lift Excell II Table Package with Phenolic Top, Fence & Stand  router table that uses cylindrical router bodies.

Ive been given a list of routers from Jessem that would be compatible.

Can anyone recommend a good quality one that can take half inch bits also.

Are there any thats not on the list that are worth looking at?

• Bosch 1617/1618,
  • DeWalt 610/618/616,
  • Makita 1101,
  • Hitachi M12VC and KM12VC,
  • Milwaukee 5625/5615/5616/5619,
  • Rigid R29302,
  • AEG MF1400KE,
  • Felisatti RF-62,
  • Bosch 1400CE

Many Thanks

Luke

I also happy to have the big Porter Cable in my Incra lift (made by Jessem), so I'm curious why that unit is not on Jessem's list.

For unmounted work I have the Bosch 1617/1618 with fixed and plunge bases that I am also happy with.  

Caveat, I don't do nearly as much router work as others on this forum.  

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

If it won't hold a Porter Cable 7518, I'd keep looking.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I would consider the Porter Cable 7518 its a solid contender for router table use.

I agree with both of these.  Its what I use in my Incra lift. 

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

Out of curiosity what does anyone think about the Portamate router?

I have the 7518 in my lift and have been happy with it. Sometimes the speed control is a bit wishy-washy, but it's performed well, all in all. My brother got one and used it for a week and sent it back for speed control issues and replaced it with the Portamate. He's been happy with it.

5 hours ago, curlyoak said:

I spent 10 minutes on google and could not find out where Portamate is made. Afinity owns it I think.

At Woodpeckers' web site, they list the country of manufacture as China. https://www.woodpeck.com/routing/router-accessories/portamate-3hp-router-motor.html .  It's under the "Additional Information" tab.

41 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I don't use any router daily, or weekly. I have a Bosch 1617 in my table that does everything I need it to do. The 3+ HP routers are monsters though; you won't overload them. Then again, come to think of it, I've never overloaded my 1617.

Nor have I. I to have the 1617 in my router table. I have 3 or 4 others as well.

• 1 month later...

On 5/24/2020 at 1:33 AM, namluke said:

Are there any thats not on the list that are worth looking at?

• Bosch 1617/1618,
  • DeWalt 610/618/616,
  • Makita 1101,
  • Hitachi M12VC and KM12VC,
  • Milwaukee 5625/5615/5616/5619,
  • Rigid R29302,
  • AEG MF1400KE,
  • Felisatti RF-62,
  • Bosch 1400CE

You can either go for Bosch or Dewalt. I am saying because i used routers from these companies only. And i like them very much 

But before buying you need to read about their pros and cons.  Like Bosch 1617 has pros - 

The router is a very versatile option because it can work both with a plunger as well as a fixed base.
The router is loaded with LED lights such that you can always keep a track of what you are doing and never go wrong.

And cons like  - The bases in this router are difficult to change.

Best regards ,

Alexmusk    

Edited by wtnhighlander
Linking removed

Like Robby W I run a couple of Milwaukee 5625's. One has been in service since 2007 and never given me any problems.  I have changed bearings on Bosch routers but, mysteriously all my Milwaukees are still on the originals . . . and they get used much more.(???)

At any rate, once you go to a lift the two top choice locomotives seem to be the PC 7518 and the Mil 5625.  I don't know if either company's products are what they were a decade or so ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Porter Cable is a brand that is no longer available in the UK. The original poster is based in the UK.

I would go for a least 2000 watt Bosch Blue or DeWalt 1/2” collet. Milwaukee is a US brand that is available in the UK but I’ve heard some poor reports about them.

A Trend T11 has an in built router raiser and negates the need for a Jessem Mast R Lift completely. I’ve been using one for about 8 years in a cast iron table with phenolic top without issue. The router is about £450 and the table a similar price.

if you were looking for an industrial solution then look instead at a spindle moulder and forget about routers completely. The tooling is far more stable than a router and the results can be astonishing.

• Like 2