Does anyone use nails any more?

Steve Edgar

No.  Honestly no.  I can't remember the last time I used a hammer to hit a nail.   For DIY stuff I use drywall screws or a brad nailer.   For furniture I use real joinery.   cut nails look kind of cool for period pieces (think early american country) but that is not my thing. 

I use nails all the time.  Not in my shop builds but, for household stuff and some of the construction stuff I do, I use them frequently.  I always keep an assortment around.  Nothing worse than tossing stuff out and needing it 10 minutes later!

Just now, TIODS said:

I use nails all the time.  Not in my shop builds but, for household stuff and some of the construction stuff I do, I use them frequently.  I always keep an assortment around.  Nothing worse than tossing stuff out and needing it 10 minutes later!

I'm in the same boat.

• Like 2

I keep a one pound box of 30 commons to punch caulking tube seals with.  4 and 6 d finish nails for pulling lines-can't think of any others that get regular use, unless we order some from Tremont.  I gave away two wooden kegs of nails not too long ago that came out of my Grandfather's store just to get them out of the way.  We have another small (16x24) brick storage building with some heavy shelves on one side that are lined with remnants of 50 lb. boxes of all sorts of nails.  I don't think I've been in that building for over a year other than get to the scaffolding that we store in there.  Hanging on nails above the shelves are all the power tools my Dad and I have used and weren't worth fixing any more.  The complete histories of Porter-Cable circular saws and drills are probably up there.

23 minutes ago, d8nk said:

I just used some nails on this little box I made. Some times nails are a change of pace but 98% of the time, pneumatics are the only nails I use. 1f9b42d06e56d7169d49815abf9f8150.jpg

what species is that? 

I just used some nails on this little box I made. Some times nails are a change of pace but 98% of the time, pneumatics are the only nails I use. 1f9b42d06e56d7169d49815abf9f8150.jpg
what species is that? 

Top is walnut, sides were random scraps. Not sure but think it is ash. Handle is cedar.

Sure do - Every time I hang something on the wall..... I mostly use brad nailers for projects, but I do occasionally break out the wire nails, just not very often. Brad nailers do it so much more quickly and without the stress on the project that a hammer and nails cause. And the only time my thumb hurts is when the brad comes out of the side of the project with a miss. :o

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Correct.  I use $.01 nails so I can replace a $30 blade.  

Me too but usually, some one else provides the nail. One time, it was Home Depot, generous souls that they are. (cut a new 2x4 with my SCMS, didn't hear anything but the cuts got downright bad. Traced it back, found half of a nail)

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Me too but usually, some one else provides the nail. One time, it was Home Depot, generous souls that they are. (cut a new 2x4 with my SCMS, didn't hear anything but the cuts got downright bad. Traced it back, found half of a nail)

It was not my nail.  The yard helper stapled a flag to the wood sticking or of my truck.  By stapled,  I mean peppered the end of 8/4 walnut with 10 brads to hold it. The flag was gone in 3 miles, apparently I missed a brad. No worries,  my band saw is a metal finding machine. 

To add trim on a small install I use finish nails fairly often. Why haul a compressor ,hose and gun for 8 or 12 nails ? If I wanted to use 23 gauge pins to be near invisible I use Beauty brads, they are hand driven nails that are very brittle. You drive them in at a slight angle about 3/4 of their length then tap the exposed part sideways and it snaps off below the surface. I just use them to hold trim till the glue dries.