Best movie car chases

TerryMcK

BMW Films puts out a lot of great car chase shorts.   They usually are 10-15 minutes long, have great cinematography, A list actors, and are glorified ads.   I can't remember anything specific, but I do know they are some of the best car chase scenes I've seen. 

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Here's mine:

Bullitt (1968)

McQueen being the King of Cool in the Mustang fastback versus the equally V8'd bad assed villains in the Dodge Charger R/T.

I agree! I had a new 68 Mustang and I had just graduated from high school. My parents sure sweated that year!

6 hours ago, prov163 said:

Best part of car chases back then is the stunt drivers really did them - and some of the actors did as well. No CGI.  Just great driving in fast cars. 

Here's a response Dolph Lundgren gave from a Reddit AMA:

In what ways did the action genre changed since the eighties in your opinion?

Well, the technical innovations of CGI and wire-work has changed it a lot. Because now you can make almost anything happen onscreen and it looks totally real. So the performer doesn't necessarily need the skills that you needed in the '80s. You don't have to be able to fight, or jump, or run, because you'll have a double, or they'll figure out a way to make it look like you're doing it, which opens up the action genre to really good actors who maybe aren't as physical. They're trained, but they're not professional athletes or fighters like we used to be. We had to have very, very good skills because there was no way to make it happen after you shot the scene, it had to happen in front of the camera. This is why now, if you win an Academy Award, you can become an action movie actor - or at least give it a really good shot! Then you can go straight into the Marvel movies. And if you have to do action, there's a way to make it look real. I think it's great, opens it up to more people.

Does this one count?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

BMW Films puts out a lot of great car chase shorts.   They usually are 10-15 minutes long, have great cinematography, A list actors, and are glorified ads.   I can't remember anything specific, but I do know they are some of the best car chase scenes I've seen. 

This. Clive Owen as a driver and some stars in each one (Newman, Madonna, etc.) Most driving was real with just a drop of CGI.

And Ronin, Vanishing Point. I also like car scenes in modern Gone in 60 seconds. 

On 6/18/2017 at 0:39 PM, G S Haydon said:

Original Gone in 60 Seconds. I failed to even follow what the film was about aside from a massive car chase, not sure how people didn't die during filming.

Going down through the responses I wondered why no one was naming that one. The entire movie is one huge car chase... so awesome!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 4:50 PM, Marmotjr said:

They all starred Clive Owen just about when his career started.   They have different directors, some big names like Guy Ritchie and John Woo.

This was my favorite of them all, directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Madonna.