Hauling rough lumber in a SUV

Dhankx

4 hours ago, Klappco said:

c9e666730d4c2fbea93a648facf1938f.jpg

This is how I do it. I keep wanting a truck but this car is paid for.

When I was a medic, we used to call this job security.

The driver seems to be the only safe one here.  But if you are very very careful, you can get away with this.  And I'd have to bring some spare shorts in case I thunked a sign or something. 

Now @ the OP, why can't you open the back window, tie down the boards inside, and hang a flag?   12 ft'rs may be a problem, but 8' boards should work ok. 

17 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

When I was a medic, we used to call this job security.

The driver seems to be the only safe one here.  But if you are very very careful, you can get away with this.  And I'd have to bring some spare shorts in case I thunked a sign or something. 

Now @ the OP, why can't you open the back window, tie down the boards inside, and hang a flag?   12 ft'rs may be a problem, but 8' boards should work ok. 

Sadly there is no back window just a back gate door that opens

I carry my lumber in my CRV on the roof rack, and can also have 8 foot boards inside. I brought the wood for my Roubo home this way without an issue, although it took a couple of trips.

You just have to tie it down very securely. I like to use at least 4 straps on it, so if one breaks I won't lose it.

I know people that have transported 16' deck boards on their roof racks. They also don't live far from Lowes and made sure to travel early on Saturday when there was less traffic. But it is doable with good racks and ratchet straps. Every man should have a set of four ratchet straps in their trunk. And make sure you don't cheap out and buy 8' ones, for for atleady 10' so you don't have issues securing plywood.

• Like 1

When I had my Toyota FJ I put 8' or less inside with the ends sticking out the hatch window and tied longer boards to the roof rack. You can often see the ends through the windshield,  but it it isn't that hard to learn how to tie the boards down securely.  By the way, my truck bed is six feet long, and even with an 8' bed you have to be aware of how much is hanging off the back of the vehicle. 

You can pick up cheap trailers at auctions pretty easy. I have a chainsaw mill and mill 12/4 live edge slabs. I put several on my Brother in laws Ram 1500 with a ladder rack. They were heavy enough that it made the truck very unstable. The slabs were green and over 100 pounds each, so it really shifted the center of gravity. You might not be hauling heavy slabs, but any weight over the cabin of the vehicle will change the center of gravity. The biggest thing about a trailer is the headboard. If you lock the brakes up, the weight may push your vehicle some, but the boards won't go shooting through you windshield and decapitate the guy on the bike in front of you, Joe.

• Like 1

I second the idea of renting the truck from Home Depot, etc. If you have one near you.  I did this recently to move some furniture.  No HD purchase required, you can rent it for a few hours if need be and it was 10 x less hassle than renting a car at the airport.  

And you don't have to store it when you're done.

I have also carried lumber on my roof rack.  I would try not go over 100 lbs, tie it down securely and take it EZ!  You are by definition not now in a hurry.  Still 12 feet on top of a car will be hard to tie down--unless you drive a limo.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be late to this thread...

One local lumber yard near me (more like a showroom than a yard, but with decent pricing) delivers for $40. If I was to purchase more than 100bf, I would consider this option.

For smaller loads, my Volvo V60 has a fold-flat front seat that can hold boards up to 8.5' long. Some other cars have the fold-flat front seat option.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:43 PM, BillyDoubleU said:

IMG_5470.JPG

Been there, done that.  My wife was thrilled! 

After I broke her windshield, I bought a folding 4x8 trailer from harbor freight.  The trailer folded up and rolled into the corner of our garage.  I could put it together in ten minutes or less.  It was still a pain, but it was much better than trying to haul lumber in an suv (or my mustang I had at the time) 

Then last year I came to the realization that my woodworking hobby was more important than my mustang hobby, and my mustang didn't work for my family anyway.  I got a truck and my lumber transporting troubles vanished. 

On 8/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Mark J said:

I second the idea of renting the truck from Home Depot, etc. If you have one near you.

+1

They have the flat bed trucks and also the vans. Menards rents trucks as well. Much less hassle to rent from these stores than Uhaul. Cheaper too!

If your local yard delivers that may be the best way to go.

I have a Honda Odyssey and have put plenty of stuff on the roof rack and inside. I can get just over 10' if I take out the front console. I think i am doing delivery next time. Just less hassle. 55 bucks for up to 1000bdft.

7 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Been there, done that.  My wife was thrilled! 

After I broke her windshield, I bought a folding 4x8 trailer from harbor freight.  The trailer folded up and rolled into the corner of our garage.  I could put it together in ten minutes or less.  It was still a pain, but it was much better than trying to haul lumber in an suv (or my mustang I had at the time) 

Then last year I came to the realization that my woodworking hobby was more important than my mustang hobby, and my mustang didn't work for my family anyway.  I got a truck and my lumber transporting troubles vanished. 

I want a truck so bad. I had one till a dog ran out into traffic 9 years ago. Wife was pregnant so we got a "family" car that would be good for a infant car seat with the insurance money. 

I have seen that type of hitch extender used quiet often - but primarily with canoes (14' to 16' long) out the back of SUVs.  Seem to work fine - but boats don't weigh as much as a load of lumber.  My guess it is easier to put gear on the roof than getting a boat up on top.

The canoes are always tied down tightly with multiple straps.  And plenty of flagging.

I am always the guy with 8' or 10' pieces sticking out the back of a Sequioa.  Has internal tie down, the rear seats come out, and the center row rolls forward.  Never had any issue - the bigger, the longer the load, the slower I go. What time anyway - and those jerks behind me?  Don't bother with your angry glares when you pass as I just don't care at this point.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:38 AM, Dhankx said:

Nothing actually, it's just the length of some of the sticks that they sell.  I think the cedar are 12ft and the oak is 10ft.  Let's say they cut it to 8 ft, how would I secure it inside? I was kind of assuming this tool would be of primary importance to keep it from sliding in and out regardless (unless of course I have them cut small enough it can fit inside completely).

I've pondered a trailer, but the ones I looked at all have a gate on the end and even if it was a 10 ft trailer I'd still have something sticking out the back. ...not to mention that's another ~1200 bucks for this "hobby" of mine

I have an SUV and bought one of these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660343_200660343

I love it.  Takes 5 minutes to setup and tucks away into a corner of my garage.  I have also had the Harbor Freight version and the NT steel version.  The aluminium is great because it's so lightweight.  Highly recommend.

I always carry my battery powered Makita jigsaw and break the boards down at the parking lot following a cut list previously elaborated, so they will fit in my 4runner. If I don't have that list, then I have it delivered. There are miles of highway between me and the lumber yard so I always avoid the roof rack or any other unsafe method.