New (and final) Shop!

..Kev

Nice shop and love the background landscape.  Many times I wish the wife and I had moved out west. Spent a vacation in New Mexico and loved it! Want to go back but the wife isn't a history buff on Billy the Kid, etc. Highlight was Las Vegas, NM, the wildest of the western towns. Most people don't know this. Google it and see.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikemenifee said:

Great building. Are you using the old shop for lumber storage?

11 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Or parking cars? ;)

The old shop will be for lumber storage as well as parking the tractor, lawn mower, etc..  We have another double car garage for the cars.

22 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

So will those double doors be big enough to get a boat out when it's done ? At least it's not in the basement........

4 minutes ago, Art said:

That will be an amazing shop Kev! Congratulations.  Looking forward to following along.  Do you have enough Nordfab ducting for this shop?  Otherwise I suspect the budget for ducting might equal the construction budget :o

Shop side also has an 8' roll up door into it so, should be good.  Although, I don't have any plans on building a boat..

I have quite a bit of spare Nordfab. The current shop is smaller than the last shop.  I'm sure that there will be some small bits and pieces that I'm missing but, I don't think it's enough to break the bank.

Wow. Nice building. Very impressive. You have quite a repertoire! A skilled woodworker, a teacher, video journalist, accomplished musician. And you find time to go to "work". May I ask, what is your job? My kind of music. What is your instrument?

In south Florida we dig 6" footings. No big rocks in the ground. Soon I'll be pouring a 12 X 15 slab. It will cost $2400 with labor. If I had Montana requirements it would cost a lot more I'm sure.

This building is going up in a logical well thought sequence. With the right amenities for a productive environment. Like watching one of your woodworking projects. Thanks Kev.

2 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Wow. Nice building. Very impressive. You have quite a repertoire! A skilled woodworker, a teacher, video journalist, accomplished musician. And you find time to go to "work". May I ask, what is your job? My kind of music. What is your instrument?

In south Florida we dig 6" footings. No big rocks in the ground. Soon I'll be pouring a 12 X 15 slab. It will cost $2400 with labor. If I had Montana requirements it would cost a lot more I'm sure.

This building is going up in a logical well thought sequence. With the right amenities for a productive environment. Like watching one of your woodworking projects. Thanks Kev.

Thanks!  I play guitar but, not as much as I used to.  Those tracks were recorded in the last shop before that was a shop.

As for the new shop, it wasn't cheap for sure!  However, we're trying to set ourselves up for retirement so, things just have to be right.  Best we could afford even if that means we have to stretch that a bit.

Footings here have to go 36" deep..

Thanks for the video, Kev.  I love watching the clouds roll by in the sky - at times it almost looks like the surface of the ocean.

No snow up there yet?  Or was this building done earlier in the year?

30 x 30 will be a nice space for you.  That's bigger than my garage that I have to share with all the other non-woodworking activities and items.  Maybe next year I'll put up a storage building in the back yard so I can move the lawn and garden tools out and make room for more woodworking tools.

Congrats on the new shop.  I look forward to seeing videos produced from it.

Derek

Thanks Derek!

If you freeze the video in the last couple frames, you'll see the snow flying.  It literally started right when they finished the last piece of ridge cap.

The split will give me 35 feet and the wife 25 feet which should work out well for both of us.

There are already projects in the works for the new shop and I'll be getting some of those videos out soon!

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Snow in Kalispell now eh? I'm jealous :) 

My grandparents used to live up there. 

Funny!  When I shot that footage I just assumed that was the start of our winter.  Now, we have none on the ground and not supposed to get any until after Christmas.  That's strange for Kalispell!