Keep the crotch or make the live edge continuous?

I got this cool slab that I'm going to make into a coffee table top. I wanted to get some opinions - do I:

1) leave it as is, accepting that the lower right part of the live edge has been cut straight

or

2) cut it as shown by the red line in the attached picture so that the live edge extends along the whole edge (but losing the crotch/'Y'), making the bottom edge parallel to the top edge

I'd hate to lose the crotch, but I also feel like the non-continuous live edge will drive me crazy ("if only I had waited for a different slab..." haha). Which would you guys consider the lesser of the two evils?

Thanks!

David

slab.JPG

slab_cut.jpg

• Like 1

OR, you might consider a different sort of crosscut; is you leave the left and right ends of the red line approximately where they are and then drop the center of the line by several inches then the two outer points could be reconnected by either a line that curves down to the new, lower centerpoint OR by two straight lines that meet at the centerpoint  [thus forming a shallow V rather than a curve]................have fun.

I love, honor and obey all crotches. It is the main feature on that board. As long as the cut and the entire top is sanded carefully to a very fine grit it has to be beautiful. It is walnut. What is the base?

Sometimes the art is in the wood. All we have to do is expose it and polish it. And non woodworkers give us a little more credit than is due. Especially with figured material...

Thanks guys. I figured "keep the crotch" would win. Now I just have to decide what I want to do about the straight part of the crotch on the outside right bottom...

I was going to use some 1.5" steel tube U-style legs. I guess that's why I'm obsessing about this cut - because there really is hardly any work/design involved haha. "Hey look I screwed this piece of wood onto these legs" had better not elicit a "yea but what the heck is this straight part?" for a viewer :).

15 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I think you have the consensus David, keep the crotch, cutting it off would be a shame. whats your plan for legs? 

I think this is important because we never have a consensus on anything. :D

I'm the one guy that thinks these are wasted for table tops. Cut the edges off saw veneer and use it for drawer fronts, door panels, or small box lids ect.

39 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I think this is important because we never have a consensus on anything. :D

I'm the one guy that thinks these are wasted for table tops. Cut the edges off saw veneer and use it for drawer fronts, door panels, or small box lids ect.

I agree with this. Especially after seeing your latest dresser build.

fullsizeoutput_1bf2.thumb.jpeg.621cecb0281ce4cc01e144e2beb2ccef.jpegHow thick is it? If it is thick enough I would Cut the sap off of the right side in picture and leave the crotch in place. Then I would re-saw the slab and glue together for a match grained with some crotch and sap and live edge on both sides. Finely polished walnut is beautiful. No matter what you do...wire brush the live edge...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm late to the party, but a good practice is to ask yourself what would work best for the function of the piece.  Would a smaller but more simply-shaped table be better for its purpose?  Or would the natural rawness of the slab serve it better?  There's rarely a pat "this is right" answer when it comes to design.