"Reign"

Thanks a lot folks, this one really came off better than I expected.  I modeled it in SketchUp but with the way SketchUp draws curves the picture looked very industrial, in fact I was going to call the piece "Industrial Design".  Then as I was working the shape it looked very different on the lathe in a horizontal position.  But it wasn't until I got it off the lathe and sitting upright that I really appreciated it and I think it came out rather cool if I do say so myself.  

3 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Reminds me of a tea cup. Perhaps “Tea For Four”. 

I like that idea Coop, it's going on my list, but I have to admit there are a lot of contenders at this point.  

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd be interested in what you came up with if you threw function out the window and just went for showy.

Not sure whether or not to thank you for putting THAT thought in my head,  but now I know what I will be thinking about as I drive to Raleigh. B)

• Like 1

That really made me laugh, Ross.  Well I'm pretty happy with this one, but if I'm honest there are going to be a lot of spectacular pieces at AAW.  I don't think I'll be getting the Nobel Prize for Woodworking or anything.  

To hold the piece I start out on a screw chuck, then flip the bowl over and switch to a four jaw chuck in expansion mode.  Flip again and mount on a Longworth with a donut attachment.  That completed the turning, but I switched to a vacuum chuck to facilitate sanding.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Can pics that are posted on here be shared with others via text message or email?  I don’t seem to be able to. I’d like to send these to a turner friend of mine. 

Just link to the page. Copy the web address from your nav bar. You can paste it anywhere. You need not be a member to view the page. 

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Can pics that are posted on here be shared with others via text message or email?  I don’t seem to be able to. I’d like to send these to a turner friend of mine. 

Coop, I just drag the picture to the desktop then attach it to an email

I tried to give advice that would work across platforms. On your iPad, when you click on the pictures it often opens a new window. From that window you can hold your finger on a pic and save it to your device. Thing is, you’d need to do that for each view you wanted to pass along. If you copy and paste the web address, you share all the views going through the step once.