What is your hobby

Andrew77

Welcome, Andrew!

As far as woodworking goes, I enjoy building furniture and other little things for my personal use and as gifts for close family and friends. 

Outside of woodworking, I enjoy photography and I used to do a lot of biking of various types, but that has gone by the wayside since my kids were born. 

Tell us more about the ship kits you build, I know they range from very basic to incredibly complex. Share some pictures of what you have made!

6 hours ago, Andrew77 said:

Hi everyone,

Building wood ship kits is my hobby, comment your hobby let's see how many of us have same interest. 

Andrew,

I too want to hear about your ship kit builds. I'm beginning kayak shortly. The build will be a hybrid of stitch and glue with a strip planking for the deck. I've yet to do one of these builds but they look very interesting and I'd love to see some of your builds.  

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

Andrew,

I too want to hear about your ship kit builds. I'm beginning kayak shortly. The build will be a hybrid of stitch and glue with a strip planking for the deck. I've yet to do one of these builds but they look very interesting and I'd love to see some of your builds.  

Hey @Bmac I've been following this guys stitch kayak build he has built a number of them I found it very interesting here's the link if your interested https://www.lumberjocks.com/blogs/tag/duck+hunting+kayak/by/date/page/3

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Hey @Bmac I've been following this guys stitch kayak build he has built a number of them I found it very interesting here's the link if your interested https://www.lumberjocks.com/blogs/tag/duck+hunting+kayak/by/date/page/3

Thanks for the link, I'll try to follow along too. 

My kit is for the Wood Duck 12 and is from Chesapeake Light Craft also. I only live an hour away from them and I hope to pick up the kit next week.

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/kayak-kits/wood-duck-12-hybrid-recreational-kayak-kit.html

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Thanks for the link, I'll try to follow along too. 

My kit is for the Wood Duck 12 and is from Chesapeake Light Craft also. I only live an hour away from them and I hope to pick up the kit next week.

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/kayak-kits/wood-duck-12-hybrid-recreational-kayak-kit.html

Those look great.  I'd really like to influence you to pick one with a longer waterline length though.  12' limits hull speed enough to make a big difference in trying to get somewhere in one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Those look great.  I'd really like to influence you to pick one with a longer waterline length though.  12' limits hull speed enough to make a big difference in trying to get somewhere in one.

Yes, I understand that, I plan to use this for fishing so speed isn't a big factor. The stability of it's 30" beam was a big factor in my choice.

I have my eye on another kayak if I like this build and I enjoy kayaking, that one will be a longer and faster model.

49 minutes ago, Robby W said:

Woodworking, Scouting, audio systems, shooting sports. Also, sitting on my butt and quaffing a nice root beer. :rolleyes:

If you are serious about the root beer and can get it out there, try a St. Arnold’s . 

• Thanks 1

Aside from woodworking, I have seven guitars, a tenor sax, keyboard and a bunch of amplifiers and software for my music habit, er, hobby. Then I have a small arsenal of firearms for shooting sports, although I'm not a hunter. I just like to shoot, reload, study the physics and chemistry of it and have enjoyed that for most of my life. There used to be a boating hobby, but I've dropped out of that in the last 10 years or so. Want to buy an old sailboat? :) I love to drive fast cars but I don't own one. Well in its day it was fast, a C4 Corvette. I used to fly quite a bit but that hobby has gone the way of boating. I have tons of camping and hiking gear; who doesn't like to get out in nature and take some pictures or collect weird stuff you find? So yeah, photography too.

I have too many hobbies so I've pared them down to what I can still do if I ever retire.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:05 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

Aside from woodworking, I have seven guitars, a tenor sax, keyboard and a bunch of amplifiers and software for my music habit, er, hobby. Then I have a small arsenal of firearms for shooting sports, although I'm not a hunter. I just like to shoot, reload, study the physics and chemistry of it and have enjoyed that for most of my life. There used to be a boating hobby, but I've dropped out of that in the last 10 years or so.

I'd love to have a beer with you @ChipSawdust. Man what diversity!  Which brings me to my hobby (in addition to the newest one woodworking). I loved preaching, but since I now sometimes get disabled without warning, that went out the window. Nobody wants to go to church and look at an unexpectedly empty pulpit. So, I write and talk with people about how faith speaks to the issues of life we all face. It really is a joy to be with people through difficult times and bring faith to bear in a world increasingly naturalistic. Because I came to faith as a scientist, I try to bring a unique perspective during these discussions. Odd hobby I know, but it's mine.

• Like 2

Science and faith, there's a great combination. Lots of people seem to think those are exclusive from each other but they're actually quite well aligned. I don't drink much beer any more, but I'd have a rum and coke with you while you have your beer :) I'd like to go to PA some time and visit Steve Latta's college - we just might meet some time :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bowler.  Pre-Covid, it was 3 leagues a week in the from late August through early May, and one league in Summer.  When the centers shut down in March the leagues all ended, and since our local center is in Washington State, there's no telling when they will re-open.  There's a big push by the centers to get the governor to move bowling centers from a phase 4 classification to a phase 3, which would mean they could open back up, albeit with restrictions on capacity and such.

Currently, my wife and I are bowling in a summer league in Lewiston, which is about 35 miles away, once a week.  That ends in two weeks, but we signed up for a fall league there as well.  Idaho does not have the same restrictions as Washington does, so we have been able to enjoy it.  It's a great time, allowing us to socialize and get out of the house, and it can be a great stress relief to get to throw a 16 pound ball at pins a few dozen times a week.