Un Safest Tool In a Woodworking Shop

Coop

Making knife. Those things are dangerous.

Router table with a template bit by far makes me the most uncomfortable. I don't do rip cuts on my table saw any more. I stopped going template routing as well. Cutting to the line as cleaning up with a spoke shave isn't much slower than making a template for less than 5 parts. So i agree it's less the tool used and more the user.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wdwerker said:

My grandfather taught me to remember that bandsaws are used to cut up frozen carcasses in butcher shops every time you turn it on. Frozen meat and bone don't even slow it down so give it the care and respect needed to run it safely.

And Because Steve's pops told him that and I've heard it a dozen times, this last week, kid #2 was in the shop with me and talking about tools and he got the" you know what tool butchers use to cut up frozen pieces of meat and bone?" Talk.  It's a great way to instill respect and just enough fear of the tool to not screw around on it.

• Like 1

I’m going to wimp on this one. I bought a good DeWalt scroll saw that makes me cringe the few times I’ve used it. Originally it was going to lure my wife out into the shop but with my experience, there’s no way I will sit her behind it. I’m sure like anything else, it takes practice but practice ain’t fun either. Perhaps I should look into to utube but right now, I would sell it to the first buyer and get it out of my shop. 

The only thing that has really scared/surprised me while operating was when I was pattern/template routing on a router table and the bit grabbed the end grain hard. Nothing happened, but had I been a bit unlucky it could have. I think the tool that could do the most damage is the jointer - I'm religious about using its guard (my new jointer has the Euro guard which I think is safer for the worst possible accidents).

Table saw is the only thing that ever kicked a piece of wood at me, long ago. Nowadays I rip thick wood on the bandsaw and always pay attention when a blade of any kind is spinning. Hand held tools require care and attention, but I've never had them bite me like a power tool.

Used to work as a mechanic and tools slipping off bolts did my hands more damage than anything else, but that's outside the topic :)

Not woodworking but I had something I was grinding on a bench grinder, the grinder grabbed it and flung it at high velocity some were in the shop.  That was probably 30 some years ago and I still haven't found that piece laying anywhere. :blink:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Man, I am easily startled especially when I'm thinking.  My wife and I have an understanding.  When she comes into the shop she keeps far away from me while circling around to get into my field of view and waits there until I notice her, which is only a few seconds.  

I don't want my spouse in the shop with loud equipment running.  Our understanding is that she flashes the lights (momentarily dims without blacking out.)

We do the same thing.  I've let everyone know NOT to come into the shop and start shouting if I'm in the middle of a cut or working with something delicate like a chisel or Dremel.  They are to stand at the door and wait until I notice them, even if it's several minutes.  And I told my mailman, who likes to stop and check out what I'm working on, that if he bangs on the garage door again I would call his supervisor.

David