What came in the mail today?

1 hour ago, Robby W said:

I need to find a place to get spalted maple. I want to use some for some drawer fronts when I build my new tool cabinet. Any ideas?

Ebay, seller spaltedwoods.  Keep that just between us though.  Don't need any riffraff cleaning the place out.  Fortunately they're in the neighboring state so the shipping isn't bad.

51 minutes ago, Coop said:

@krtwood, the salted maple is not for cutting boards, right? 

Nah, I already made a bunch in hard maple and walnut.  But I am tragically going to cut most of the spalted stuff up into little pieces though.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, krtwood said:

Ebay, seller spaltedwoods.  Keep that just between us though.  Don't need any riffraff cleaning the place out.  Fortunately they're in the neighboring state so the shipping isn't bad.

Nah, I already made a bunch in hard maple and walnut.  But I am tragically going to cut most of the spalted stuff up into little pieces though.  

Not a bad thing, IMO. Extremely figured wood is better in smaller chunks or accents.

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Those who know me know I’m pretty frugal when it comes to tools, I have to really need it and going to use it before I lay out any cash but these from Harry Epstein are earning their keep already. The Veritas wheel marking gauge is a joy to use and the 4”, 6” and 12” squares are right on, couldn’t resist making boxes for the 4 and 6, one all butternut and one quarter sawn sycamore and walnut, the butternut one is a gift for my sonDB0E119A-5E2E-4FCA-8B99-C36DFDFC3529.jpeg.d356a9831e0a03c78aeb8da424a989ab.jpeg0D47B4BB-69E1-40B2-9888-12829F48482E.jpeg.f593d99e691633b737ae3caddb780a6b.jpeg

I have the very same Veritas gauge and it is very good. Make sure you buy some spare wheels for it though. I know from my experience when I first got mine it rolled off the bench onto the floor and the disc shattered as it is so hard. I have rubber on the floor now so it just bounces.

Also it is razor sharp. I cut my finger yesterday on it trying to get the gauge out of its normal storage place in my tool cabinet. Ouch!

Nice haul on everything else too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Cliff said:

2 badly needed items came yesterday

Festtol 32" track

IMG_20200701_105300.thumb.jpg.5c49f2822b4a7e23aae6ec9b649c2b53.jpg

Domino trim stop

IMG_20200701_104842.thumb.jpg.da34fc3864a5f83d1f51dbd757f7c5f5.jpg

The shorter track like that is very useful I must get one. I have the Bosch Pro plunge saw rather than the Festool one and it is just as good (similar price). 

15 hours ago, Coop said:

Robby, if you are like me, and maybe I’m more sentimental, but anything a family member (or anyone) gives me as a gift, I acknowledge the gift when I receive it and think of the person that gave it to me when I use it. Even if it is a gift card, I let them know what they gave me, always! Marking knives are cool and very useful.

Yep. I let him know when I receive it. Everytime I use a tool from others, it triggers the memories associated with it. Every once in a while, I find myself whistling a time my Dad used to whistle. It usually happens when I  enjoying myself working in the shop. When I realize it, I usually say: " Hi, Dad"!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

The shorter track like that is very useful I must get one. I have the Bosch Pro plunge saw rather than the Festool one and it is just as good (similar price). 

Ya I got the Makita saw. Honestly the Makita track is not near as good so I have 2 55" festools, but this will be fantastic for putting straight edges on small slabs that I'm cutting down into dimensional lumber cause most of my stock is 12" or greater.