What came in the mail today?

22 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Buy 1 Starrett and keep it in your pocket. I get they are expensive but I bought two (4" & 6") 20 years ago and they are just as accurate and nice today as the day I bought them. The 4" is my go to always in my right front apron pocket. If I could only have two measuring/layout tools it would be the 4" Starrett and my 6" Woodpeckers Stainless Paolini rule.

So here is what is interesting about Starrett. I have a 4" adjustable that has NEVER locked down. I find it incredibly annoying. I got a 6" double square from them that works pretty well - about a month old, and a 12" adjustable that i bought used on ebay when I first started in 2015. So 2 out of 3 work pretty well. That's good odds for a lower priced square, but for the price I paid, it needs to be 3/3. 

On the Woodpecker from I got the 3 Paolini ones I use often, the 12", 26", a carpenters square/triangle thing, several T squares. Very happy with them. Honestly at this point, if Woodpeckers makes a square, I'll probably buy it at some point.

I also got some of the PEC double squares, 4" - they don't lock down either. That's why I bought this iGaging ones.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, drzaius said:

And why would you live with that? I'm sure it would be replaced on warranty.

Because I live in a different world than most. I put it to the side and didn't use it. It was less work for me to ignore it and eat the cost than to call someone and deal with it. It's been 4 years now so I don't know if anything can be done at this point. 

My hierarchy of needs:

1. Don't have to communicate or talk to people on the phone or in person
2. A man loves steak.
3. Everything else

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Because I live in a different world than most. I put it to the side and didn't use it. It was less work for me to ignore it and eat the cost than to call someone and deal with it. It's been 4 years now so I don't know if anything can be done at this point. 

My hierarchy of needs:

1. Don't have to communicate or talk to people on the phone or in person
2. A man loves steak.
3. Everything else

I can understand that.

49 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Been debating on buying the PEC 4", 6" and/or 12" from Harry but trying to hold off until I really need them. I don't want to buy another cheap one that stops locking down in a few years.

PEC don’t qualify as cheap. They qualify as factory seconds. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, pkinneb said:

If I could only have two measuring/layout tools it would be the 4" Starrett and my 6" Woodpeckers Stainless Paolini rule.

My Paolini is in my right outer pocket, my 4" Starrett is in my middle pocket.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cliff said:

Couple of LV packages came in mail today-

My first Dovetail saw.

A much better flush cut saw than my crappy Dewalt one.

And, to add to the 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 chisels I bought a month ago, finishing out the upgrade from my old Narex set. These are the PM-V11s.

Nice haul!