Bit and Blade Cleaners

Pondhockey

After recent advice on this forum, I finally cleaned my table saw blade - what a difference!  Then my new router bit started making rough cuts - I cleaned it (thanks Wdwerker), and behold, it cut cleanly again.

So I've been looking for bit and blade cleaners (also have used the term pitch, in searches.)  No love from the local or regional hardware and home improvement stores (even Woodcraft, who I now know does carry a product.)  Here's some info I've found:

Product reviews:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/more/blade-bit-cleaners

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/bladeCleaners.html

In short, recommended products were:

Empire Blade Saver

Boeshield Blade and BIt

Rockler PItch and Resin Remover (also sold as a kit)

Stuff that I've been using (Simple Green, 407, various solvents...)  were not in the top few performers.

@wdwerker   in the "embers" thread writes:

I usually get this at Peachtree Woodworking because they are local , it's cheap and it works. Gloves should be used if you are sensitive to harsh chemicals or live in California. The more often you clean them the easier it is to get the resin off. 

https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_cleaners.html

The Trend and Pitch RX  work similarly. I use the plastic brush listed at the bottom of the page. The T-9 hasn't impressed me much.

I also use Bostik Dricote spray on my bits and blades after each cleaning. Depot carries it. It's a Teflon type coating. I like the stuff even though it has gotten mixed reviews. Glidecote is their spray to use on fences & tabletops. They've got a bearing lube too, it works great on router bit bearings.

• Thanks 1

I most often use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.  You can pick it up really cheap at the dollar store.  Basically, it's just alcohol (a very good cleaner) in a gel medium, so it sticks where you put it.  Spread it around a bit with a bristle brush of your choice, let it sit, brush it around a bit, and wipe it off.

I found out the method from the TabLeft You Tube channel and just had to try it myself.  I did my own video on how it works.

13 hours ago, Dennis O'Shea said:

I have also used Simple Green and have had great results.One more use it the best cleaner for your car or truck engine spray it on a warm engine and let it sit for a few minutes and spray it off I use it at 100% on the engines .

Good to know, never thought about it for that. Dad raised me to use Tide powder and I do to this day. A clean engine sure makes for a healthier car and cleaner maintenance. Thanks

• 4 months later...

Can't say it enough.  L.A. Awesome.  $1 a bottle at the dollar store.  Works better than Simple Green, Extreme Simple Green, 409 and commercial blade cleaners I have tried.  Been using it for years and I have probably spent an entire $5 on cleaner in that time.  Apply with a spray bottle, let soak a minute and brush lightly with an old tooth brush.  Rinse with water and dry with a towel and/or compressed air.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 7:08 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I use Dawn and hot water. After soaking for a couple of minutes, a rag will remove the gunk, no brush needed. Just dry thoroughly when done.

Probably a poor choice for router bits with bearings still attached ....

+1. Works as well as any specialized cleaner, solvent or anything else I've tried. It's always in stock under the kitchen sink, no gloves, masks or hearing protection required. 5 minute soak and brush it off. Rinse and dry.

I've never had an issue with router bit bearings after using it. Like Steve said above, dry it with a rag and blast it with compressed air to purge any leftover water.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, gee-dub said:

Can't say it enough.  L.A. Awesome.  $1 a bottle at the dollar store.  Works better than Simple Green, Extreme Simple Green, 409 and commercial blade cleaners I have tried.  Been using it for years and I have probably spent an entire $5 on cleaner in that time.  Apply with a spray bottle, let soak a minute and brush lightly with an old tooth brush.  Rinse with water and dry with a towel and/or compressed air.

I was trying to remember the name of the cleaner at $$$ Tree. Thanks, gee-dub.

From time to time blade / bit cleaning comes up and there have been some posts I have seen in the past (may have been on another forum) that claim some detergents / chemicals degrade carbide.    Since it's almost time to clean my blade again I contacted Forest to get feedback on the subject.   Email copied below in inverse order.    Sorry about the big font, it's not obvious to me how to change it.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 25, 2018, at 2:27 PM, Charles Hinton <xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Regards,

Charlie 

On Sep 25, 2018, at 11:43 AM, Txxxxx Fxxxxxxxx <xxxxxx@forrestman.com> wrote:

No not a good choice but buy some Simple Green from Home Depot that would work better.

Only soak for 10 mins max and scrub with a brass or nylon brush and dry well so the plate does not rust and spray silcone after drying on plate

From: Forrest Manufacturing Company <sales@forrestblades.com>

Date: September 25, 2018 at 11:10:55 AM EDT

To: sales@forrestman.com

Subject: Contact Customer Service

Reply-To: xxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Name: 

Charlie Hinton 

Email: 

xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Comment/Question: 

Is using Tide powdered laundry detergent, warm water, and a soft brass brush acceptable to clean the blades ?

If not what is the recommended detergent / solvent and cleaning method ?

Best regards,

Charlie Hinton 

E-shop of Forrest Manufacturing Company.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Since we’re on the subject of lubricants, we’ll, we could be, what do you guys use, if any, on the cranks and gears on your ts? 

SawStop tech support says to use wheel bearing grease, so that's what I'll use when it's needed. They specifically gave the thumbs down to dry lubricants. On my old TS, I used white lithium grease & it worked fine. 

I know grease will attract dust more than a dry lube, but I don't really see that as an issue. My saw is over 3 years old & there is no indication yet that it needs cleaning & greasing. I think it's worth the inconvenience of more frequent maintenance to get the superior lubrication.