Occupation

Coop

Hey Coop. My day job is as a non-degree holding electrical 'engineer'. I have some technical certs and undergrad education in electrinics engineering technology. Most of my education has been OJT, working with computers and factory automation for the past 32 years. My first 'real job' involved the care and feeding of a commercial CAD system made up of computers that still used Core memory. Punch cards, monochrome displays, and hard disk drives the size of washing machines were the order of the day. This phone I'm typing on has orders of magnitude more processing power and storage than several of those CAD systems.

Nowdays I manage several IT systems, both real and virtual, and program automation gear for things like coordinated motor speed control and industrial robots.

I'm really looking forward to the day when I can forget all of it and free up more brain cells for furniture design.

• Like 2

I'm an electrical engineer, and I spend most of my days writing control and signal processing software. I'm a bit over a year into being full time with a start up where I'm part owner (which is why I haven't had much time to woodwork lately). We do contract r&d on radio frequency systems.

• Like 2

For those that don't know..  I work as the "Safety Guy" in refineries, power plants, chemical plants, etc..  Because I have to travel for work, I get some pretty cool opportunities to hang out with some of you..  I've met quite a few of you in person and have yet to have a bad experience.  

• Like 2

I'm a veterinarian.  I'm a partner in 2 clinics, working only on dogs and cats.  This is a second career for me, as I was in the military (Navy) for 10 years.  

If anyone ever has any questions about their pets, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m surprised to see that so far, there are no legal ( attorneys, judges etc. ) or medical folks on here that seek woodworking as a stress relief. Thanks to everyone for responding. I expect to hear from many more of you. 

Know I've mentioned i'm a Civil Engineer. Civil engs design a lot of things, sewer and water systems including water and waste water treatment plants, structures, roads, landfills and stormwater systems. We also work hand in hand with surveyors and design developments for commercial, industrial, and residential lots.  My work is split about 50/50 between design for small communities and plan and permit review for those small communities. My main focus is water resources and environmental design but have done a little bit of everything.

• Like 2