it pays to be april wilkerson

blackoak

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

I can only speak for myself and find fault with rewarding her for being popular. 

It's no different then any form of advertisement, the money goes where the eyes are.  The ridiculous money that is paid for ads on the super bowl is worth it to the companies because of the number eyes on the screen.  They could run the same ad the next day for a tenth of the coast, but why bother nobody is watching.  She is popular so she gets some of the ad money from these companies in the form of tools.  There is a down side to this, she can't use the tools to buy groceries or pay bills.  And she is stuck using those tools.  What if she found out how much nicer the Festool domino is compared to theTriton dowel jointer.  She has to keep using the triton tool... at least on camera.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

You guys, don't forget - April is married to a gainfully employed engineer. She may be doing alright with sponserships, ad-sense, and so forth, but that ginormous shop isn't all just for her. He has a motorhead hobby to feed, too.

I am pretty sure hubby is getting the existing garage to play in.  The shop is all (well mostly) hers.  I am sure if hubby needs anything welded up or fabricated he will be allowed in there.

The brilliant thing about tool companies (for example) pairing up with creators on YT is that 100% of the viewers are interesting in the subject of the show, and therefore, the products used in the activity.  Lincoln, and Triton, for example, know that people who watch April are interested in building things.  That does not happen on TV where ads can be placed in shows that do not hit the demographic.  Kinda like Summer's Eve ads during a Die Hard movie.  In addition, it probably costs a lot less to put their items in someones hand than it would to pay for all it takes to get an ad on TV.

I follow April on YT and Instagram.  I don't always agree with her methods, and sometimes her builds are not something I would want, but there is usually a tidbit of something that crosses over into something I am interested in.  She has worked her behind off at what she does and it's paying off.  That's pretty cool in my books. 

Anyone "making it" on YT is putting out episodes just about every week.  Where on TV does that happen?  On TV a season is at best 21 episodes, some as short as 8 episodes.  Many do it all themselves on YT also.  They are the film crew, lighting, producers, special effects, hosts, editors and everything else that is involved in making a "show".  For a whole year, year in and year out.  Some have a bit of help, but the norm is one person doing it all, including the building of the stuff on the show.  That is several full time jobs at once going on.

15 hours ago, Cliff said:

That's sad because you really have some amazing projects. I enjoy watching it. I know I'm subscribed, but youtube hasn't shown me a video of yours in over a year on the main screen. But I watch one indian guy make my favorite indian dish and I get recommended nothing but him now. Just fantastic.

Part of the problem is that people don't understand that there's a subscription page and the home page.  The home page has all of youtube's recommendations and the subscription page has just your subscriptions.  There's 3 tabs at the top for home, subscriptions, and trending.  You can just go straight to the subscriptions from a bookmark and bypass all their recommendations.

6 hours ago, krtwood said:

Part of the problem is that people don't understand that there's a subscription page and the home page.  The home page has all of youtube's recommendations and the subscription page has just your subscriptions.  There's 3 tabs at the top for home, subscriptions, and trending.  You can just go straight to the subscriptions from a bookmark and bypass all their recommendations.

I'll look for that on the roku app. Thats where I do almost all of my youtube watching. 

4 hours ago, Coyote Jim said:

My only issue with April his her accent. She throws a "L" at the end of the word "saw". It bugs me to no end when she uses her table "sawl" to "sawl" her projects.

On a related note, I hate when people say:

• worsh instead of wash
  • Wall Marts instead of Wall Mart
  • will instead of wheel
  • and many many more. 

I hate it when people pronounce silent g's - like a hard g sound on something that ends with -ing. Which April also does sometimes. 

5 hours ago, legenddc said:

You guys are funny with this thread. How do you all feel about the Kardashians?

Don’t even get me started. What little I’ve seen (probably an oxymoron as nothing is little) of these morons, .... well, like I said, I shouldn’t get started:mellow:

On 9/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, Cliff said:

I'll look for that on the roku app. Thats where I do almost all of my youtube watching. 

You can get to your subscriptions on roku.   I think you arrow to the left and a menu pops up letting you go to the subs, trending, etc.

Youtube has had some problems with videos missing from the subscription page.   They seem to be resolved now though.

Not roku related, but I've noticed the quality of the ads improving on youtube lately, and seeing more of them.   The first part of the year the ad quality was pretty bad, mostly advertising multi-level marketing crap, or political crap... and not sure those aren't the same thing.

On some particularly obnoxious ads that just keep showing up over and over, I learned if you look down in the lower left of the video where it shows some info about the ad there is a little circle with an i in it.. like (i)   click on that and a prompt will show up allowing you to stop seeing that ad.   Although if the ad is from some big company that icon may not be available.   I don't know if this is based off what the advertiser paid, or if those particular ads have been vetted by youtube and approved.

They also introduced a new feature where you could up or down vote ads.   I'm not sure what that does for me.

Oh and over the past year or so they've been pushing a lot of survey ads... which of these tv shows have you heard of or want to see, etc.  At least you can skip those by just entering nothing.

18 hours ago, Coyote Jim said:

My only issue with April his her accent. She throws a "L" at the end of the word "saw". It bugs me to no end when she uses her table "sawl" to "sawl" her projects.

On a related note, I hate when people say:

• worsh instead of wash
  • Wall Marts instead of Wall Mart
  • will instead of wheel
  • and many many more. 

Hay hay hay......

Don't pick on us country raised Texans.....we can't help the we we talk......LOL

• Haha 1

As someone for whom English is a second language, these differences aren't only very noticeable but also extremely confusing when you're trying to learn. In my case, I end up using pronunciations interchangeably as neither are actually natural to me, and they would all sound "just slightly off" to you guys.

You'd have a good time picking at my accent :D Not your Miami Hispanic accent or Sofia Vergara but just enough to tick off some native English speakers. Don't get me started on using British spelling when writing to Americans:D  

On topic: I don't like April's videos all that much, but I can definitely see how it's beneficial for toolmakers to have sponsorship deals with her.

• Haha 1