• 7k views
    • 13 replies
    • 6.4k views
  12. jointer "snipe"

• 4 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.3k views
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian

• Topics

• The 2' bury will work fine.  The freeze depth may be different there than here anyway, especially since no one stocks the one foot bury.  The bury depth is not critical.  They just have different length pipes and it doesn't really matter exactly how much sticks out above ground other than for comfort of use. I would only use ball valves for cutoffs and not a regular faucet.   There is some loss in flow from length, so better to go with 1" pipe.  Any fitting smaller than that is a restriction and will slow flow.  The hydrant fittings are 3/4" but that's so close to the end that there is no noticeable restriction. I put a Y1 at our garden instead of a Y34 and it can flow so much water that our well pump can't keep up.  The Y34 is 3/4". I think the PEX would be fine.  I have Lots of PVC in the ground here that's 44 years old and has been trouble free.  Black poly is probably okay too, but I just don't like that the fittings go inside the pipe and restrict flow.  Black poly is nowhere near as strong as PVC or Pex.  PVC will flex a lot, but for sharper turns you just use different fittings. I have a PVC union at my well head so I can pull the pump if I need to without having to redo piping.  I park the loader over the well head with a pulley on a chain attached to the bucket up in the air over the well and use the truck going backwards so I can see when the pump comes out of the well to pull it.  I have the pump hanging on a stainless steel cable that goes through the block (pulley).  The cable is through that pulley on a chain inside the well cover, ready to go.  I can have the pump out of the well in five minutes including setup.  I get Pam to handle the pipe as it comes out and back in.
    • 1) Too many hobbies, not enough time.    2) Too many hobbies, not enough budget.    3) Wrong style of house to build most of what I desire to build. 
    • Thanks Tom! I was looking at the Y34. Looks like the supply houses around here only carry the 2-5’ bury depths. My grading guy already cut the trenches since he had his equipment out here. At the hydrant end it is about 2’ deep, so I’m thinking I’ll just pick up a Y34-2 and dig a bit by hand if needed.  I’ll do brass or stainless for the fittings.  I was originally thinking I would just run 3/4” all the way, but it’s probably better to go ahead and do 1” to the hydrant.  Is PVC better than the flexible tubing from my the well head to my house? Or Pex? I saw that Pex B can be direct buried and it sure would be nice to just roll out a coil of tubing and not have any joints to do. Not that PVC would take very long. There is a spigot on top of my well head (there’s a tee straight out of the well cap, one connects to the line heading to my house and the spigot is on the other. I might just tie my line into that (either using the spigot as a shut-off or replacing the spigot with a valve) rather than splicing into the main line heading to the house. We never use the spigot, we have one on the house relatively close to the well head.  Thoughts?
    • I checked a similar Chapin (not part of this Fountainhead group) and their warranty considers the pump to be a wear part and it is not covered at all. Warranties almost always carry conditions, it’s rare to find a company whose policy is as simple as it looks on the packaging.  I’m more annoyed with companies that insist on replacing a whole item instead of the one part that is broken, than ones that have terms or limits around their warranty policy. 
    • Pretty sweet design, Dave!
  • Popular Contributors