D&W King Bed - Walnut & White Oak

Eric.

Helluva job on the bed.  When I built mine, I had the same screw up with the headboard.  I to should have elongated the headboard legs. Your mention of it just sticks a thorn in my side, and I wish I had................................

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

I'm not very eloquent.

No, you are.  And that's well put and exactly how it is.  Thanks man.

25 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Helluva job on the bed.  When I built mine, I had the same screw up with the headboard.  I to should have elongated the headboard legs. Your mention of it just sticks a thorn in my side, and I wish I had................................

Sooorry! :D  Hey, it's a learning process.  I'll never make the same mistake again.

Great story and a great piece of craftsmanship.  I think it is pretty cool how D&W made a bed to match a dresser they previously made for a client, you echo that design but make it your own.  I do like the proportions on yours better.  It feels more grounded and masculine which is something missing in a lot of bed frame designs I see.  The different grain directions on the panels totally works with the proportions and of course, I just love walnut anyway.  I'm sure it wasn't worth the trouble of the house damage but, that bed has got a story behind it that is hard to beat.  When your kids tell your grandkids the story it will sound like the 'walking 10 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways' routine but, its true.  It's a winner all the way around.

• Like 1

#youshould have used red oak.

Just kidding! That bed looks incredible, I think your material selection and execution were impeccable!

And thanks for sharing your regret about the headboard design. I doubt I would have noticed it, and it really doesn't detract from the piece, even after you pointed it out. But now those of us who may have a bed build in our future have one more tidbit of knowledge to help us improve.

Excellent, as usual, Eric.

• Like 1

Yeah I echo gee dubs thoughts about the story...make sure you tell that story to your kids.  Or maybe even copy paste that post into a format you can keep around to give them when you pass the bed along to them.  I know I would appreciate having something like that from my dad.

• Like 1

The arrangement of the grain on the panels is superb !  Beautiful piece of furniture overall !

I have noticed the pillows covering part of the headboard on quite a few beds and only a few had a narrow extra panel across the bottom to push the featured panels up and put them on display.

The brand is nice but you should sign and date it just below !

• Like 1

Thanks for all the compliments, peeps.  High praise indeed.

2 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

Not much I can say that hasn't been said. Absolutely gorgeous bed... Though I think I'll remember that we now have photo evidence you used screws in a piece of furniture. :P

Nah, I'm not anti-screw generally...only when they're being used in a place where traditional joinery should be used.  For secondary components that are completely hidden, I have zero issue using quality wood screws in those situations.  I've never claimed otherwise and I've been using them in my work since the beginning.  Using them because you're too lazy to learn proper joinery...yeah that's a different story.

• Like 1